Thursday, October 25, 2007

Old Shale Scarf




Here is the start of my new scarf. I used the Old Shale pattern found here, but modified it a bit. I spun the angora up in a DK (light worsted) weight, so I'm using size 6 needles instead of the size 11 the pattern calls for. Because of that, I had to add stitches when casting on to make the scarf wide enough. I added 10 stitches. Here's the pattern I'm doing:

Cast on 34.
Knit 1 row.
*K2tog 3 times, {YO, K1} 6 times, K2tog 5 times, {K1,YO} 6 times, K2tog 3 times
Knit next row to last 2 stitches, K2tog
Knit 1 row
Purl 1 row*

Repeat between * until desired length, then bind off and block. On the first knit row of each 'group', alternate between K2tog on the last 2 stitches and the first 2 stitches. So, you would do as above, then
K2tog 3 times, {YO, K1} 6 times, K2tog 5 times, {K1, YO} 6 times, K2tog 3 times
K2tog, knit to end of row
Knit 1 row
Purl 1 row
then go back to doing it as you did the first time. This keeps the pattern more even and balanced.

Now, I know you aren't really supposed to wind angora in a ball, but I just can't work with it from a skein/hank. It's turning out very nice and the halo is amazing. SO SOFT!

No comments: