Wednesday, January 2, 2008

More about Christmas

I still need to get more pics of the Christmas gifts up, but here's a pic of my first project on my loom:


I didn't have anything in mind for it really, just wanted to try out the loom. I'm very pleased with how it turned out! It's not perfect, but pretty good for my first time, I think. I used some of the Grapevine handspun I did up recently and some plain old Red Heart super saver (a self-striping blue and tan). It's good as a small wrap or a short scarf (I'm using it as a scarf now, perfect length for under a jacket).

I finished this one the 26th and did another the 29th. It's so much better. A scarf, with 2 different colors (tan Bernat chunky and a reddish Patons Rumors). Got to use some different techniques for it. Don't have a picture, or it anymore, actually, since my brother has it now. I can't seem to keep much of what I make for myself, knitting or weaving. Arthur also has my Fetching (the olive green ones). He wore them to work and didn't tell me. I was wondering why they were so big. I ended up just giving them to him.

I was able to go to a yarn store the 22nd. Nease's Needleworks in Decatur. Nice store. I ended up getting 4 skeins of Cascades Peruvian wool (2 in white and 2 in a heathered blue) and a skein of Sockotta yarn (variegated red, yellow, white, orange). Here are pics (no pic of the sockotta yet):

Not white, huh? Well, that's because I dyed them! It was my first time ever dying yarn and I love it! I can't wait to be able to dye some more. I really like the idea of using natural dyes. These were done with tea bags. One ended up a little darker than the other, but only really noticeable if you're looking for it. We used 4 bags in a gallon of water. Bring to a boil, take down to a simmer with yarn added. Keep until color is as desired (we kept them in until all color was absorbed). Rinse then add to a bath of water and vinegar (we guessed, but supposed to be like a 1/4 or 1/3 cup, can't remember). Rinse and let dry. We forgot to rinse after the vinegar, so the yarn smells like Salt and Vinegar chips, but I'll be washing a completed project with it to remove the smell (I like it, but most probably wouldn't want it).

I'm working on a scarf for Shawn. Yes, he's actually going to use something I made him. After starting and frogging the entire thing about 5 times I (um, he) settled on a pattern. It's an almost-moss stitch. Cast on 20 (which I now realize I should've done only 16, as it's kind of wide), Row 1: k2, p2 across, Row 2 & 3: p2, k2 across. Keep doing this. Almost the same as moss stitch, but without the repeat of the k2, p2 row. It makes a neat ribbing look with a kind of ladder design going up. Will be posting pics soon.

No comments: