Saturday, May 31, 2008

Secret Pal 12

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Anything Araucania or Blue Sky Alpacas, Happy Feet, wool, alpaca, cotton (dishcloth and garment-quality), Euroflax, Cascade 220 (superwash and non), Hempathy, other people's handspun. I don't care much for 100% mohair (blends are fine) and I wouldn't expect to get cheap acrylics in a secret pal swap. I love all weights of yarn, but have little use for cobweb or super chunky stuff. I generally work with fingering through worsted, but do have uses for heavy worsted/chunky from time to time. I love all yarn. Not real interested in novelty yarn other than some fun fur (*gasp!*) that I could use for FiberTrends animal patterns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Those in use are floating around my knitting bag. Those not in use are in a storage container. I would love a better system!

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned the basics when I was probably around 10, but never really did much at all and forgot it. I relearned knit and purl fall 2006 summer and really got serious in September or October 2007. I am self-taught, using what I could find on the internet to guide me. I'd say I'm advanced intermediate... never been something I couldn't do or figure out really fast.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/25L58CQ30GG2Y
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/favorite_listings_public.php?user_id=5289927

5. What's your favorite scent?
Grapefruit, lemon, lime, coconut, coconut lime, lavender; for candles and the like it's pumpkin spice, vanilla, and the above mentioned smells. I don't like really sweet and fruity stuff (cotton candy-ish, gummy bear, etc) and fresh stuff (shower fresh, fresh rain, linen, etc).

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Who doesn't? I love chocolate (dark, though milk is also wonderful), especially with "stuff" in it, like coffee beans, cacao nibs, truffle (cappuccino! chocolate! any!), nuts, cranberry, etc. I've been wanting to try the kind with some spicy to it. I also love Take 5 or anything that combines salty with sweet. Other likes are black licorice (am I the only one?), Butterfinger, Three Muskateers, lemon-flavored, and anything with chocolate, peanut butter, or caramel.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I enjoy woodburning, soapmaking, lotion and lip balm making, rigid heddle loom weaving, cross stitching, dyeing yarn/fiber (with natural dyes, though I'd love to try commercial stuff), fiber prep/drum carding, spinning, beading, and I enjoy papercrafts (though I'm not a real scrapbooker; I like making cards, stamping, etc).

I do spin and have an Ashford Traditional. I love it! I've been spinning since I was 16 (5 years now), when I got my wheel for my birthday. It's what resparked my interest in knitting... I had to do something with all that pretty yarn, right? I love to spin, but don't really like to spin mohair (no use for it as a yarn) or plant fibers other than bamboo.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD).
My favorite is 90's Alternative! Like Wheezer, Eagle Eye Cherry, Third Eye Blind, etc. I also really love Country... Shania Twain, Brad Paisley, George Strait, etc. I do not like rap (unless it's like Beastie Boys or old Will Smith (too funny!)) and hip hop is just bearable in small quantities. Some rock is Ok and I like old timey mountain music somewhat (think the O' Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack). I have an iPod Nano.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Favorites are olive and turquoise. I also love reds (deep, like ruby or crimson), any green, gold (not as a metal or main color, more as an accent), earth tones, fall colors, and purple is nice right now (though not a lasting fave). I like brights for some accessories, but tend to stick to more toned down colors and jewel tones for clothing and main things I use everyday. I'm trying to get out of my earth tone for clothes rut and getting things that are more jewel toned/bright.

I do not like pastels, baby blue, and baby pink by themselves. With other colors, they are Ok. I do not like neons either.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am engaged and live with roommates at school and my parents at home. Shawn and I are getting married May 7, 2010 (tentatively).

Pets... my personal pets are: Black Jack (16 yo female mutt), Gideon (10 yo Daschund/Chihuahua mix male), Johnny Cash (9 month old Standard Poodle male), Pepper (1 yo female Bearded Dragon), Freddi (albino African Clawed Frog), Holyfield (male Betta), Squishy (1.5 yo male rat... my baby when it comes to the rats), Salty (7 month old female rat), Small Ears (3 yo male rat), Markus (2 yo male rat), Rowdy (8 yo Quarter Horse gelding), Winchester (13 yo Arabian/Spotted Saddle Horse mix mare), Acorn (4 yo daughter to Rowdy and Winchester), Gabriel (2 yo pygmy mix wether (goat)), Tobasco (4 yo potbelly pig), Outlaw (7 yo Netherland Dwarf male (rabbit)), Snoopy (2 yo Netherland Dwarf female). Salty had 14 little ones, by Squishy, June 1... I will be keeping 1 male, Smoochy.

The other pets (not my personal ones) are: Twiggy, Bonnie, Lady, Blacky, Annie, & Su-ni (Standard Poodles), Josie (JRT mix female), Aigo (Rat Terrier/Shih Tzu male), Kaiser (German Shepherd male), Eunny, Uno, & Mike ("Meeka") (Yorkies), Partner (Lab male), chickens, koi pond, kitchen goldfish

We breed Standard Poodles and Yorkies. I just recently got out of breeding and showing Netherland Dwarf rabbits and also recently got out of breeding show quality fancy rats and mice.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Of these, scarves and mittens only. I look silly in hats and ponchos, though I would like a hat (they work, what can I say?).

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Bags (felted and non), baby items (quick and cute), socks (it's a love-hate thing), toys.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Actively knitting The Sweater Bag (Patons Classic Merino), Basketweave Socks (Plymouth Happy Feet), and the Baby Kimono from Mason Dixon (Lily Sugar'N Cream Twists). On a short hibernation is the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf (my handspun merino in Hebride's Overture colorway), the Mossy Jacket (Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton, need to get more yarn in a different color), Saartje's Baby Booties (leftover Sockotta, need to do the second one).

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
It'd be a sin for a knitter/crafter not to.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I used to say straights, but now it's circs and dpns. Circs are so versatile. Bamboo! I want to eventually get an entire set in bamboo... right now it's an assortment of what I could find, what was given to me, etc.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a winder and my swift is named Shawn... my fiance! I'd love to get a swift or the plans to make one.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Wisp. I started it probably around October or November of last year and was going strong, but it's BORING! Can't bring myself to finish it or frog it.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. I know, not a crafty one, but I love the food and family. I guess my favorite crafty holiday would be Christmas... friends, family, food, presents, excitement, cold weather, and lots of necessary knitting!

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn, needles, and notions? Yes... I collect Breyer Horses, clasp trinket box things (Limoges, though not necessary that brand, but that kind of box), actually, any small box thing, piggy banks of any type (not necessarily pigs, though I love those), small animal figurines (especially Wade!), anything with hippos/rabbits/rats/mice/Poodles (standards in particular)/German Shepherds/Boxers, and I love stationary stuff (notecards, pens, notebooks, etc).

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Books - refer to my Amazon.com wishlist, but I love anything Tom Clancy (already have Cardinal in the Kremlin, Patriot Games, Rainbow Six), having to do with the Holocaust (historical fiction and nonfiction), Agatha Christie (have Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None), and I love knitting/spinning/weaving books! I've been wanting to try Jodi Picoult.
Yarns - My yarn experience is pretty limited (no real LYS... must travel and can't do that often). I would love to try out Tofutsies, Noro (any), Yarn Love, Dream in Color, Rowan, Fleece Artist, Cotton Fleece, Malabrigo (heavier than laceweight), Manos del Uruguay, any neat handspun/handdyed yarn. I've also never worked with 100% silk or bamboo, but those are pricier things and I'd rather have something more reasonable and a lot of it than a small amount of something really expensive. I have a bad habit of buying a single skein or maybe two... never enough to do a real big project. So, anything, really, is good by me and I'd love enough to finish up a project!
Needles - Circs: Sizes 1, 1.5, 3, 4, 7 DPNs: Sizes 1.5, 3, 4, 7 <---in particular, though I would never refuse dpns or circs of any size!
Notions - needle stopper things (to keep work from sliding off), large-hole beads
Patterns - those cute animals from FiberTrends, Mochimochi Land (I have the sleepy snake/mischevious mouse one), Wicked, Glee, Tree Jacket, and Rusted Root from Zephyr Style
Magazines - I have a subscription to Spin Off. I love Interweave Knits, but haven't really found any other knitting mag that I think is worth buying (though my exposure is limited).

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Colorwork... I've always been intimidated and have only done some basic stuff. I'd like to learn intarsia and fair isle.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, though I have been focusing on other things lately (but I always have a pair in progress). I wear a size 6.5 shoe. From heel to bottom of big toe it's 7.5 inches and the same for just above the ankle. I prefer taller socks (not no-shows or ankle socks) for handknitted.

23. When is your birthday?
May 8... just had the "big" 21.

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
SpinKnitUp

25. Likes/Dislikes?
Likes - hippos, dogs (Standard Poodle, German Shepherd, Boxer), aligators/crocodiles, horses, dinosaurs, training dogs, training/working horses, tea (any, though really like Chai, green with jasmine, and peppermint), coffee, reading, history (American Revolution & Holocaust), rabbits, rats/mice, farm things, any neat sciencey things (tadpole kit, ant farm, sea monkeys, etc).
Dislikes - animal rights (ASPCA, PETA, Human Society, House Rabbit Society, ELF, ALF, etc), cats (love barn kitties, just not the pet variety), novelty yarn, things relating to witchcraft/new age stuff

26. Allergies?
All trees, grasses, and weeds, dust, all melons, peas, oranges, strawberries, bananas, raw/fresh carrots.
I am on several medications that keep symptoms under control for the most part, so don't worry if something you send comes into contact with grass or something, or is somehow tied in to grass. Just don't roll it around in pollen :-)
I can deal with flavors of my allergic things, but it can't have any of the actual food or oils of that food in it. Melon and bananas are the worst... smelling it makes my throat itch and start to swell. Grapefruit is Ok, just no oranges!

3 comments:

Christy said...

You're in SP12, too? Maybe we'll be partners.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to spoiling you!!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to spoiling you!!