Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Fill-in and work news

1. Idle hands are the Devil's playground. I hate to be cliche, but it's true. Busy people tend to stay out of trouble.
2. I love thinking in the shower. It's where I get to sort out my thoughts.
3. My favorite time of the day is when all the work is done, the animals are fed, I'm all cleaned up, and it time to just relax and knit. If I wake up early my favorite is when I realize that the day is so long (usually around 1000 when I think it's about 2 pm).
4. The last tea I drank was half sweet tea and half Solomon's Seal tea from the garden. I'm drinking it right now.
5. I like to ride horses, take my dogs everywhere, and lazy around in the Summer.
6. My mother always says the funniest things. Being half Korean, she sometimes says the wrong thing or something and it's really funny. Her English is really good, but it's amusing sometimes.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to knitting, tomorrow my plans include sleeping in, clipping Johnny Cash, knitting, and weaving and Sunday, I want to sleep in, knit, weave, and read (and maybe clip someone else... Annie? Twiggy?)!

Work news... I had a much better day Wednesday. It was really great. I've figured out that I can't stand not being busy. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, like someone's going to walk in and yell at me for not doing my job. Wednesday I was stocking shelves, running the register, etc. Thursday was pretty boring again, but Ok. Today was actually really good... I got to do a walkthrough with the manager and take some notes. Then I tasked out the list to the employees. Actual managerial work! It was neat, but I feel like some employees view me as a sort of 90-day-wonder... a young girl who thinks she's little miss manager since she's in college and getting a degree. I don't think that, but I can't help how some people are. They are all good to work with, but I feel a little odd giving them tasks (most of them are older than I am and have much more experience). I do go to them for advice and help, which probably helps a little. Monday I start with the real stuff... manager register functions, opening, money control, armored car stuff, getting keys, answering register calls for a manager, etc. I can't wait!

Knitting news... I actually got a good bit of knitting done yesterday. I got through an entire repeat in the Sweater Bag and it was so nice to pick up the needles again. So relaxing. I'll be working on my socks this weekend and hope to get through the entire heel at least.

I was thinking about sock knitting and find something funny... People knit bags. People knit shawls. People knit a lot of things. But, people are sock knitters. Not just someone who knits socks. I love how we identify ourselves as that... I'm a sock knitter. So defining. Why are socks that way? Yes, there are lace knitters and other knitters, but the most common is a sock knitter. What is it about socks? I think it's the amazement that comes with them... socks are something that everyone has and will always have. Something that's taken for granted. But to make your own... it's just simply amazing. The process, the work, the tiny little needles. The outcome. Something so useable, something so small, yet so valuable. I think that's why I'll always be a sock knitter, even if I do have a love-hate relationship with them right now.

No comments: