Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Secret Pal 12 Question 2

As a kid, what did you look forward to most about summer vacation/break?

Lots of things... no school, vacations to Florida and St. Simons Island, summer reading program at the library, all the time in the world for riding the horses and training dogs, sleeping in, trips to Six Flags and Whitewater...

I really loved just having free time. I find my time to be one of the most valuable things (way more valuable than money!). You can't save it, only spend it wisely. You never get back those precious days. I realize that now more than ever (refer to a few posts back on my realization of summer). Now that I'm working and will be working most summers for a while to come I really appreciate my time that I do have free.

I still look forward to summer, but once I'm in it I look forward to the upcoming semester. I'm sad that I only have a year left of school... it's been so much a part of my life it feels a little strange to be out in the "real world" so soon.

Oh, and on the topic of summers and having them off/free, guess what I'll be doing next summer! Nope, not working at Walgreens (that'll come next fall)... I'll be walking the Appalachian Trail!!! I've made the decision... been toying around with it for a while now and I've decided that if I don't do it now it'll likely never happen. I'll have a job, a family, etc. that would keep me from it. And, I'm doing it alone. Well, Johnny Cash will be there with me, but that's it. It'll be a wonderful experience... taking care of myself and my dog, being truly alone for the first (and likely last) time in my life, just a great thing. I'll be safe and smart about it (satellite phone, gps, etc) and I'm just excited beyond words. I'll fly up to Maine and walk down to Georgia again. So, Christmas, birthday, and graduation gift lists will include hiking gear and yarn (can't be a true gift list without that, now can it?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! the Appalachian Trail!! You go girl!

Your SP