Monday, September 15, 2008

Essentials



This is a bag I knit up today. I made it up as I went. I was wanting to make a bag that would go across my body, be simple in design, and very cute. It would be for carrying the essentials... wallet, keys, lip stuff, pen, maybe a small thing of post-its for jotting down notes and ideas.

It's knit up in Knit Picks Shamrock (100% Peruvian Wool) in the O'Doyle colorway. I really like this yarn... very pretty, strong, and soft. It doesn't seem like it will pill much, though it is a bit splitty (not really a problem for the knitting, but the crochet strap was a bit of a pain). I used nearly all of the 2 skeins I bought this summer with no real plan in mind.

The garter sections are knit with yarn held double, stockinette knit with one strand of yarn alone (alternating strands every 2 rows to prevent pooling). Size 10 needles throughout. Crochet strap. I used the natural curl of stockinette stitch to make the small flap turn down like it should. Polished bone buttons to hold it closed. Lined with black fleecey material (bargain bin at Walmart) to help hold the shape and stop stretching/sagging. The crochet strap is wonderful for preventing stretching and was quicker than i-cord. It's about 7" square in size.

I may use that tiny bit of leftover yarn for a small coin purse.

I've decided to learn to crochet (more than the little bit that I know). Not sure how much of it I'll actually do, but it would be nice to learn how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bag is adorable!!

Your SP12 pal