Sunday, September 14, 2008

Knitting and Money Woes

A good weekend that was too short. Here's what I have knitting-wise:

Got a lot knitted on the $5 shirt... hope to have this finished by the end of the month.


The sock is still where it was Friday. Oh well. It will get a lot of work this week, hopefully.


This is my Friendship Afghan from the swap-bot.com swap. I started putting it together this weekend. All the squares I've received so far are put together. I really wish that some of the swappers had followed the 6"x6" rule closer... some are only 5" or so and it makes the properly-sized squares bunch up. But, I do like it and it's neat to have something knitted/crocheted by a bunch of people all over the world! I finished up the squares to be sent for this round and they are packaged up and ready to go in the mail tomorrow morning.

I am getting stressed over money... I am working as a BMI at a Walgreens in Gainesville this semester so that I can maintain my active employee status (in order to get benefits as soon as I go full-time after graduating). I'm only able to get 7.5 hours a week since I am now on the store's budget. It's a 40 minute drive one way and I'm using nearly a quarter tank per day. 3 days a week. Right now, about 45.00 will fill the tank. I am getting paid well (double digits/hour), but after paying for gas to get to work and back, I'm only bringing home maybe 100.00 per check. I have to pay for car insurance, weekly allergy shots, rent, and medicine. 200.00 isn't going to cut it. All that, not including rent, is going to be about 125.00/month. Rent is 450.00/month... fortunately, I was smart and paid up as far as I could with what I made this summer and am good through November. But December and next semester are still here. It's looking like I'm going to have to rely on Shawn even more than I already have been... I really hate that. I was looking at getting a second part-time job, but there isn't anywhere local to get one. And I can't get more hours at Walgreens. Very frustrating and I hate relying on others for money.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I'm sure you've thought of this, but is there any way you can work full-time one day/week (perhaps on the weekend) to cut the cost of the commute?

I understand how tough it is to juggle all the balls in the air. Is there any possibility of an on-campus job? Even if it pays less, it would save the commute expense if you could work while you're there.

Lupie said...

This is so cool! I love the idea that you have both knitted and crochet squares.