Friday, September 19, 2008

This crocheting thing isn't so bad...

Ok, I'm still a knitter at heart, but I'm getting into this crochet thing. I learned to crochet before I learned to knit (my grandmother is a master crocheter), but never did more than single and double crochet and didn't even know I was doing it (I didn't know that's what it was called). I taught myself a little last night and made that frog. I cast on (crocheted on?) for a scarf for my mom to wear to SAFF:




It's the Ziggy Lace Scarf. I really like how it's looking. A simple pattern with a 2 row repeat. I'm using Berroco Comfort Sock since I have a random skein of it and it's machine washable. This is going to Moma, who thinks that everything is machine washable... that's why I'm having to make her another scarf. The first one I made her was a lovely Old Shale in my handspun worsted... one ply was lavender alpaca/shetland blend and the other ply was a nice natural gray corriedale. Definitely not machine washable.

I still prefer knitting, but find crochet to be a nice break from the relative slowness and tediousness of it (sometimes). I am not yet at the point of using my best yarns for crochet, but I'll be there soon, I think.

Still knitting on the $5 shirt and the market bag. I'll be working on the Knotty or Knice socks again soon (I'm through the heel and just need to do the leg to finish up sock #1).

1 comment:

Lupie said...

You are doing great! I was first a crocheter for over 40 years. Did a little knitting but stared for real for years ago.
The fiber art world is big enough for the two. There is nothing like mixing the two in a project.