Thursday, October 16, 2008

Long post... the fill-in, pets, and a FO!

1. Follow the feelings in your heart, but always consult your brain first!
2. A camera, cash, knitting, and a good book are some things I always take with me on vacation.
3. To achieve your goals, you must work hard and persevere.
4. I have an irrational fear of cyclops and just writing the word is enough to give me chills is something I'd like you to know about me.
5. I have a lot of animals and really could not survive without a bunch of pets to keep me company. I really do enjoy and value animal companionship over humans in most cases, though I hate animal rights.
6. I love root beer floats.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to getting some spinning done, tomorrow my plans include doing the Gold Rush thing (a huge craft show in Dahlonega), and, Sunday, I want to sleep in, do a project for Modern World Revolutions class, and relax!

Today was a good day. My Korean class was cancelled and I skipped War & Society in America. Shawn came over early to study Korean (before we found out it was cancelled) and we both memorized our dialogue assignment. After getting the call from Charlie, the teacher (Korean name Yunchur), Shawn played Wii and I did a little more on the woodburning project I'm doing for my color swap pal. Then we went out to Auto Zone (he had to get a part for his car) and then to Cumming. We ate at Cici's and went to Home Depot to get a Dremel tool and to Target for a shirt for Shawn. There's a style that he got there a few weeks ago that looks amazing on him, so we went to pick up another in a different color. Back to campus to charge the Dremel and work on his car. We had to replace his starter and there was a piece that was protruding, preventing it from fitting in properly. That's where the Dremel came in. I love those things... so versatile. I think every home should have at least one! Oh, and by "we," I mean Shawn fixed it and I held the flashlight.

We had a nice drive around after that to make sure the car was fixed (it is) and then a stop by Mickey D's for some food.

In animal news, my triops hatched this week! Shawn bought me a Smithsonian kit for hatching your own triops (kind of like offbrand sea monkeys). I didn't have high hopes for them as the kit was bought at Ross and was missing about half the stuff. I tried them out this week and they hatched! They are so neat... and they grow so fast! They were barely visible Monday and today they are montrous in comparison! There are still a few tiny ones, but 2 have really taken off and most are in between. Here are some pictures of a giant one and a mid-sized one (they are so hard to photograph!):
They are so neat. Arty bought me sea monkeys for Christmas this year (he told me already). They are Spongebob themed and it's called A Lot of Plankton. Isn't that cute? I love things like ant farms, sea monkeys, tadpole kits, etc.

Here's my most recent FO:

It's the Pretty Puffs Slouchy Hat (pattern link), but isn't very slouchy. I didn't have the right sized hook and it's a bit smaller than it's supposed to be. It was going to be for Michelle for Christmas, but I think I'm going to give it to Arty and Michelle and let them figure out who gets it (it's not as slouchy as Michelle likes and it would fit a guy like a beanie, which Arty likes). It's Malabrigo Worsted that has been in my stash since the beginning of June. My first time using it and it is what they say it is... so soft and works up beautifully! I have half of the brown left and 2 skeins of the pollen colorway and one of a semisold green.

1 comment:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Those Triops are kind of neat looking. What do you feed them?