Sunday, November 9, 2008

I love Barnes & Noble

It's my absolute favorite bookstore. I try to love the small independents more, but I have to say that they just can't compete with B&N, as much as it pains me to do it. The atmosphere, chairs, ability to spend all day there and read/work without feeling pressured to buy and skeedaddle out of there, and the BOOKS. Access to just about anything you could want to know. If they don't have it, they can get it. Oh, and as a Walgreens employ, I get free shipping and a discount on online orders of 50.00 or more. I have yet to use it, but I do plan on it when the money situation is a little better.

I went through a bunch of knitting books I've been eyeing and I know that I most definitely have to have Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. I think I'll die if I don't get it before the end of the year. Another thing to go on the Christmas list!

This is the finished pair of Aran Isle Slippers for Moma. I still need to felt them (and her bag), which I hope to do Tuesday. They are pretty big and I think I can get them down to the perfect size. In looking at the picture, it looks like the left one's top part is smaller or messed up. It's not. These things haven't been blocked and are kind of jumbled.

The sock that I cast on for today. It's not plain stockinette. I just can't do it. I'm making it up as I go, but I'm thinking of some sort of cabling that comes out of the ribbing. I have the idea in my head, so we'll see how well it actually works out (not the best colors, but this is a practice run and if I like it I'll do it in a solid). If you remember, this yarn (from my first ever secret pal) doesn't have a good track record... it's tried to be 3 different pairs of socks and none of it worked out. I hope that long time spent in the stash was enough punishment to make it cooperate now.

I leave you with this... The current state of the left side of my desk. I pulled out some of my pretty pretty pretty sock yarn last week in hopes for inspiration. I got it and am now working on the socks. Not my prettiest yarn, but I got tired of it staring at me from the closet. If this sock doesn't work out, I forfeit and the yarn will never again attempt to be socks.

2 comments:

Sunset Knitter said...

I'm so jealous of you. A day at BN. Lucky you! Your slippers look cute!

Lupie said...

I just told my daughter yesterday that my desk looks like a crazy person uses it. The slippers look great can't wait to see them felted.