Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sometimes I hate being me...

I have allergies. I've had seasonal allergies with itchy eyes, sneezing, itchy throat stuff since I was about 16 and a Claritin or Allegra would take care of it completely. Fall 2005 I had an overnight hospital stay due to allergy-induced vertigo. Early 2006 I woke up one morning with a swollen mouth and a puffy face in general. After enduring that for about a year and being on steroids almost constantly for 6 months, I finally went to an allergist and tested positive to all grasses, all weeds, all trees (except birch), oranges, peas, all melons, strawberries, bananas, and a few other things that were just slight positives. My doc said I am the most allergic person he's seen.

Zyrtec, Singulair, and Doxepin every day, with Benadryl as needed, was enough to keep it under control and weekly shots really helped. Up until recently. This semester has been a nightmare as far as my health goes... I had bronchitis the month of July and sinusitis from the beginning of July to now. It's lingering and won't go away... allergic people tend to have difficulties with sinuses, with causes worse allergic reactions, which keeps the sinus infection from getting better. A vicious cycle that I'm caught up in.

And that's not the worst of it. My allergy symptoms come in the the form of angioedema... facial swelling that is most prominent in the lips/mouth area and around the eyes. I've always had some eye swelling, but it had been my lips from the beginning. They swell, are painful, start to peel, etc. It's not pretty and even less comfortable. Now it's my eye. This week I've woken up nearly every day with my right eye swollen shut. It gets better as the day goes on, but it's now in the left eye as well. The lips are pretty much Ok with only a little swelling, but the eyes are irritated, painful, swollen, and my vision is very blurred right now. My doctor, who's really wonderful and I'm grateful to have, looked at me today and can't figure it out. The meds should be ridding me of all symptoms, but they aren't. He thinks that I have more going on that just allergies, but doesn't know what it is or who he could refer me to. The symptoms scream allergies, but I'm not getting better, only worse. What's wrong with me??? Why can't I just be normal? I have a new med that I'll be trying this week. Think of me and send well wishes!

Ok, my ranting is over now.

I've been working on more hats. They are really fun to make. I mailed 3 to Irisheyes today and have made 2 more since then. I'm trying to make at least one a day (preferably 2) and want to match the number I send to Irisheyes and donate them to local shelters in Atlanta.

2 comments:

Lupie said...

I hope you start feeling better soon.

lizzzknits said...

At least wool is not listed as one of your allergens! I hope you feel better soon.