Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Hat

This is my fifth charity hat... the Spirib Crochat (pattern link). It's not as cone-headed as this picture makes it look and is the perfect size for a child. I love this pattern and think it's a new favorite.

The yarn was a RAK... someone on Ravelry sent me a box full of Red Heart to make charity hats from. I really appreciate it, but they all reek of cigarette smoke. I caught a hint of it when I first started with the yarn, but once I really got into it... ugh. My nose is still burning from it. I can deal with slight smokey smells, but this is painful. I'm not sure what to do with it... I plan on washing this hat in hopes of removing the smell and could do that with everything that I make from this RAK yarn, but I'm not sure that I can actually get through the knitting with it smelling so bad. I may give the skeins a soak in vodka (the best way I've found to remove all smoke smell).

I hope to finish my Johnny & June sock number two this weekend. I just picked up for the heel and then it's on to the foot! So close. I also hope to finish up my bias garter stitch scarf.

1. Enough with the Obama dog talk. Who cares if they get a mutt or a purebred?
2. Homelessness causes me to be conflicted (I don't want to be an enabler, but also don't want them to starve/freeze to death; I think the best way to do it is to provide enough to keep them alive & hopeful, but still leave enough lacking that they are motivated to get more from life).
3. I've been craving Coke Zero.
4. My rats make me laugh.
5. I wish I could go to a yarn store (and actually spend money) next week.
6. Graduation has been on my mind lately.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to seeing The Tale of Despereaux with Shawn, tomorrow my plans include going to knit group, and, Sunday, I want to get a lot of reading done!

1 comment:

Anita O said...

NIce hat. You are on a roll there. Funny what passes for news these days. I agree with the Oboma dog talk. Who cares??
Homelessness...it's a thing to think about, especially in the freezing cold weather we've been having!