Monday, January 26, 2009

Squishy and Knitting/Crocheting

I made this today with all the love that I have. It is for my Squishy, my beloved pet rat, to be held in while he is put down.

Squishy was born in my rattery October 10, 2006, and has been my companion since then. He goes where I go and no rules against pets in my apartment has stopped me from having him.

I know he's "just a rat" and all that. I've bred rodents for feeders and I have no issues with personally putting down animals that are suffering and need it and, having been raised in a farm lifestyle and having so many animals, I've had to shoot goats, dogs, cats, euthanize rabbits, etc. when they are injured or ill beyond repair. It's a part of life and I'm no stranger to death. I usually take it well and it really doesn't affect me. Not this time. I feel about Squishy the way I do my dogs... he's my friend and I love him. It's now time to say goodbye. Saturday, he will be going to the vet to be humanely euthanized.

I've fought myself over this and it's now time. He has been having an issue with a sore on his right hind foot for a few months now and it's gotten worse. The foot is now swollen and pretty much useless. He's losing condition and is much lazier than normal. He still gets excited when I hand out loving and treats, but animals are like that. They don't show pain, self-pity, and other things like people. And, rats are even worse... they are much more stoic than dogs, horses, and cats. Having worked as a vet tech, I've seen animals that should have been put to sleep much sooner than they were and I don't want to be the person that is selfish and keeps a suffering animal alive for my own feelings. I'm so emotional about this and have cried several times this week... the waterworks are going to be full on Saturday.

I have Squishy Eric-Cartman Harper's casket all made up (a shoebox with his picture, name, birth/death dates, and a poem on it) and now have his burial blanket made. It is made with the best cotton that I had, Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton.

I will do an obituary post Saturday. Please pray for and think about Squishy this week... I hope that he doesn't suffer too much until Saturday.

For happier stuff...

Progress on the Slippery Sock. Sorry for the fuzzy picture. I'm almost to the heel.

A preemie hat. The glass cup it's on is the exact same size as a can of coke. So tiny! I've made 3 today (varying sizes) and a pair of larger preemie/newborn open-heeled booties. All Red Heart (will be washed a few times to soften it up before donation). I've made 9/52 hats so far.

Kathmandu Aran yarn that I won from Lizzzknits (link to the right). It's gorgeous and so soft. I think these will become a pair of Fetching for me... I made my mom a pair in 2006 and made one for me, but only one! Then I got rid of the yarn. If anyone wants a lone fetching in olive green handspun Corriedale, let me know and I'll get it to you.

4 comments:

lizzzknits said...

Love knows no bounds when it comes to pets, of whatever species.

Glad to see that the contest gift of the Kathmandu Aran arrives save and sound. Looking forward to seeing the finished Fetchings.

Anita O said...

I feel for you and your pet, and I am grateful that you love your pet so much that you put his needs above your own. That is true love! I will say prayers for you.
I like your sock. Very nice. And your fetchings will be gorgeous.

Hissy Stitch said...

Awww, poor Squishy. It's a hard decision to make, but often it's the kindest. And I'm not one to think it's "just a rat" --coming from someone who had a gerbil's badly injured leg amputated when my then 10-year-old son looked at me with his big brown eyes and said, "Mom, it's a life!"

Heather Wardell said...

Poor you, and poor Squishy. I've had to have three cats put down and it's so painful but it's also good to be able to let them go when they need to be let go.

You're doing the right thing for Squishy, and the blanket you made to hold him in is lovely.

(And I love his middle name as well.)