Saturday, February 28, 2009

Weather Woes

I had plans to take Moma to pick up her new mattress yesterday and was going to spend today riding with a friend. Neither happened due to the storms we've been getting (of course, it's gorgeous outside now that it's too late to do either). However, I did bring enough home to keep me busy while all pent up indoors:


So, I stole some money from the Stitches piggy bank and bought 2 lbs Romney x roving and a Louet drop spindle from Hello Yarn (Adrian is very nice, by the way!). Great deal (the spidle was 12.00!). Adrian sent a tiny sampler of her gorgeous handdyed roving for practicing on the spindle...

My first attempt on Twisty Lou the spindle. I Navajo plied and it was actually much easier to do on the spindle than on the wheel, I think.

This is my second attempt (using the Romney x) that I made into a tiny swatch to check needle sizes (against, Navajo plied and I think US 8 is the right size):

Here's the start of an actual project:

I plan on spindling the entire 2 lb (am I crazy?). All will be Navajo-plied and it will be put toward a cardi of some sort (or a pullover, just something along those lines). I want to jump on the February Lady Sweater bandwagon, so we'll see.
Not perfect, but improving wiht each try. I'll just say that I'm working toward a "rustic" yarn (sounds better than "I'm just learning and this is the best I can do right now"). I am pretty consistent in the weight of my singles/plying, so that's good. Just need to work a little more at Navajo plying.

1. I'm White, I'm Korean, I am American.?
2. Why do I have wavy frizzy hair and no straight cooperative hair?
3. How is this stimulus bill supposed to work, anyway?
4. Every morning, I put ring on my finger after getting out of the shower.
5. I consider myself lucky because I grew up in the country.
6. One day we’ll see what happens.
7. And as for the weekend, Friday I drove home and did fibery stuff, today I didn't do much, and, tomorrow my plans include Arty's for lunch and then back to college.

2 comments:

lunaticraft said...

Isn't that always how the weather works? We had a similar situation here the other day, and tommorrow it's supposed to possibly start snowing just as I have to get in my car and drive for an hour to a rehearsal!

That swatch looks wonderfully soft and squishy. Seems perfect for a cardigan or pullover.

Anita O said...

that's a pretty drop spindle. I still have to play around with mine. You do great work!
And you are lucky growing up in the country, surrounded by animals and nature.