Saturday, May 30, 2009

9 gone, 3 gained

So, we are out of the Standard Poodle business. We had 1 adult, 3 6-month olds, and 5 3-month olds to place. We were asking an adoption fee (spay/neuter required), but decided that if the right person wanted them, we would let them go for nothing. Well, Thursday, I met a lady who got the adult (for her widowed mother in Louisiana) and one of the older pups for herself. She stopped by friends' houses on the way home to show them off and I met with them again Friday! We ended up placing every single available Standard! We are sooo happy and these people were so nice. The original lady's sister got one older pup and the 3 friends each got 2 puppies. The only Standard we have left is my Johnny Cash, and he isn't going anywhere. It is kind of sad not to have a million puppies running around, but our wallets are thanking us and we know the babies got excellent homes.

So, 9 dogs gone (leaving us with only 7 dogs now!). Of course, we have to replace some, right?

This is Tzip (kind of like "zip"). Her name was Misty when I got her. My long-time friend and horse buddy, AJ, graduated highschool yesterday and had a cookout at his house before the ceremony. Moma and I went (the food was sooo good!) and I came home with this little girl. He had 3 ferrets and wanted to find a home for 1 or 2. Of course, I can't say no to a cute face, so here she is. Moma is less than thrilled, but doesn't really care what I get as long as I take care of it, it doesn't live in the house, and it isn't a dog. I've had ferrets before and missed their funny personalities.



Later yesterday night, we went to the chicken sale (a small animal auction). I hadn't been in a long time and it was nice to see familiar faces and to get in on the bidding action. Here's what we came home with:

Not the pig... he's been here for a long time. The sheep! This is a young ram, who knows what the breeds make this little guy up. Don't let the collar fool you; he's not friendly. Not really mean, just a pain to catch. I'm debating on cutting him or not... do I want to eventually get a ewe and breed them? I'm leaning more toward cutting him and getting another later if I ever do want lambs one day (Who am I kidding? Of course I want lambs one day!).

I've named him Special Ed. It's perfect for him. He really gave us a run around last night when he escaped to the yard during unloading. I finally caught him and put him in with Tabasco. He loves that pig already and follows him everywhere, much to Tabasco's annoyance.







This is the last addition. I've been calling her Mama Goat, like I call every large nanny we get. I'm thinking of giving her a proper name, though. She's a total sweetie and loves people. She walks on a leash very well and ties well (we know because she jumped the fence last night and I had to leave her tied out in the yard overnight until I could find a good place to put her). She's going to be a pet and weedeater. Name suggestions? I want somthing not too cutesy, but not to formal either. She's a country goat and needs a countryish name.

3 comments:

lizzzknits said...

You certainly seem to live in a very different world than I! Total metropolitan/suburban here!

Anita O said...

Awww, I miss my ferrets so much! Lucky girl you!

Your animals are all adorable!

So what popped into my head was:
Ethel.
Don't know if that's country or just old fashioned!

lunaticraft said...

What a joy it must be to be able to be surrounded by all those little cuties! Sadly, my father has put his foot down at one dog and two cats... Even so, every time I see an ad or sign saying puppies or kittens free to good home I'm always tempted to just bring one home, rules be damned. Besides, I'll have to get my own place eventually, might as well have a buddy I can bring with me! =D The new additions are totally adorable. And as far as names? I think "Ethel" was a good suggestion, and oddly was the first name to pop into my head, even without reading the above comment!