Sunday, May 17, 2009

Smithsonian and Home Again

Friday was Washington, D.C.

We went to the Holocaust Museum... amazing! I have been wanting to go since I was in the 3rd grade. I loved it and am so sad that pictures aren't allowed in the permanent exhibit. To actually have been able to touch an actual boxcar people were transported in, actual bunks from Auschwitz... Really amazing.

We also went to 2 Smithsonian museums, the Air and Space one and the Natural History one.

Shawn standing in the snake exhibit. Don't you love the small Anaconda on the wall?

A very interesting critter here. It's some sort of Chinese swamp deer. Look at the tusks!

This was so cute. I didn't even realize I got the kid in the pic. His parents were taking a picture of him and he was acting like the Triceratops was biting his hand. He had the painful look on his face and everything. Too cute.

This is from the Air and Space museum. All the movie equipment is from the filming of Night At The Museum. Pretty cool to get to see everything.

Shawn standing under some aircraft. I can't remember what it is. He's the plane/helicopter expert, so I would have to ask him.

The Jefferson Memorial.

We drove through the night to get in Marietta right before Shawn had to be on base for first formation. He has drill this weekend. A rough weekend for him, sleep-wise. While he was drilling yesterday, I went to Cast-on Cottage for their 2-year anniversary sale. Everything in the store was 10% off, with many items being more (a lot even 50% off!).

I got 2 skeins of Araucania Ranco solids in black (some gray) for Shawn's wedding socks (yay!) and 3 skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Cashmere... a yummy blend of, you guessed it, silk and cashmere. This is going to be a cowl for me. I'm really loving the gold/bronze/mustardy colors right now and think they are going to be a big part of my winter knits wardrobe this year.

2 comments:

Anita O said...

How awesome. The Smithsonian. I really want to go visit.

That's a huge anaconda. Do they really get that big, or is that an anomaly?

And what great purchases. I do like the mustardy colors too. Don't know why. Ranco is soooo nice. The only thing I don't like is that it's handwash only. but if you have several pairs like that, it's not so bad.

So I'm expecting you to have the cowl and socks done next week, LOL. But really, I won't be surprised if you do.

lizzzknits said...

I have been to the Holocaust Museum as well, and it really sticks with you. As well it should......

Isn't Washington and incredible place!