Thursday, June 11, 2009

Work work work

So, I guess I've joined the "adult" world. I started working Monday.

My store is about an hour away. That's around 2 hours of commute daily. So, of course, my manager put me closing this coming Monday (3:30-11 pm) and then open on Tuesday (7:30am - 5pm.... yes, that's 9.5 hours with only a 30 minute lunch break (we don't get the standard 15 minutes for every 2 hours worked)). I worked 9.5 hours for the past 2 days. Anyway, Monday I'll get home around midnight to have to wake up at 0530 Tuesday to get ready for work. I might get 3.5-4 hours of sleep between working a total of 17 hours or so.

Yes, I'm whining. I really don't mind working. I loved being a vet tech and working from 0730 - 6pm everyday but 2. Long hours, but loved the job. I really do despise retail. I've already been told that I'll be working Thanksgiving night, Christmas Eve night, and Christmas morning. Talk about use me and abuse me, huh?

I do have 5 days of paid vacation, which I plan on taking next month before we get the back-to-school rush and the black-out months of winter and fall (the days don't roll over into the next year... use it or lose it). I think that should be fun, though I won't be going anywhere special. I think Shawn might come over that week and we'll just find something to do. Maybe a day trip to Savannah.

Sorry I haven't had much of a fiber update lately. I've been sleeping or working and that's about it. Even my animals are suffering for attention right now. I have snuck in a few knitting minutes every now and then. I have all the RAK cloths finished and just need to do the lettering on the last 3. I started the Ribbed Baby Jacket in Wool-Ease. It's a really pretty blue color. I think it will go to my nephew (due in September to Shawn's brother and his wife).

I did mess around with the dogs and did some training today. Gideon, my 12 (or so) year old Daschund/Chihuahua mix, is doing very well with the limited time I've worked with him. He'll sit, down, stay, heel, and come. Still needs some polishing up, but he's got the basics. Johnny Cash, my 2 (in August) year old Standard Poodle, is a total star and does it all. Here are some pics I got of him today:


That's my 17 year old girl, Black Jack, sitting with him. She was the first dog I trained (when I was 9). She's now deaf and has limited vision due to severe cataracts, but the girl still knows all her commands! Fortunately, I always teach hand signals in addition to verbal commands, so she'll still sit, down, stay, come, heel, etc. I love that old girl and am so saddened that she's aging. She is showing some signs of canine dementia (going to the wrong side of the gate to be let in, confusion in should-be familiar situations, etc). Other than those mild symptoms and the deafness/vision, she's completely healthy and going strong. I pray that she's like that until the end.

3 comments:

Anita O said...

Boy, isn't it awful to be a grown up, LOL?

I hear you about working. Being in the food service industry is the same, work holidays, weekends, and blah blah blah. It's not so bad until you have kids.

Hopefully soon you'll be all adjusted and will be able to attend to the rest of your life, LOL. Can't wait to see some knitting pics.

lunaticraft said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the schedule madness. And the holidays especially. I often end up working holidays as well, but at least it's because I choose to (freelance musician does have its perks, though regular pay is not one of them). Being told, with no choice? That sucks, big time. I'm so sorry. Hopefully, you'll be able to settle in and things will get a bit more enjoyable for you soon!

Lupie said...

You must find time to knit and rest.
I love your dogs!
My daughter and her husband bought a house and will be moving out soon with our Maggie. I will be lost without her!