Thursday, August 13, 2009

Goodbye, My Friend

My best girl died yesterday.

Black Jack was dumped in my front yard when I was 9 years old. She and I were best friends... we went everywhere together and did everything together. She waited for me at the bus stop every afternoon... if I went to a friend's house and didn't get off the bus, she would sulk back to the house, lay under the truck, and refuse to move or eat until I returned.

She was the best dog. I could take her anywhere, training was a breeze (she was the first dog I trained), she got along great with other animals.

Black Jack was 17 years old. My mom accidentally ran over her yesterday and she died instantly. I am beyond sad about it, but it was almost a blessing at the same time. She went quickly. I was always so afraid of going out one day and just finding her dead or having her get sick and having to make the decision to put her down. But, there is no easy way to lose a pet, a member of the family, my best friend for 13 years. We are having the funeral tomorrow. My dad built a really nice coffin for her.

She had 17 good years. She was healthy up until the end, only having lost her hearing and most of her eyesight. I am so thankful for that. She will be missed forever. There will never be another like my sweet BJ Girl.


We say goodbye to Black Jack and welcome June Carter:

I dropped BJ's body off at the vet to be kept in the freezer until the burial. As I was leaving, my old coworker and friend gave me an ad for a puppy with a sweet face. My friend helped in the c-section that gave us the litter this little girl was in. I am the type that needs to get another pet soon after losing one... it helps me to keep my mind off the lost pet, keeps me from dwelling on it. Moma and I went this morning and picked up June Carter, a 15 week old mutt with a sweet personality and face that reminds me of Black Jack when she was young.

3 comments:

lizzzknits said...

The circle of friends......condolences on your loss and best wishes with the new one!

lunaticraft said...

Oh my! I'm so sorry! It's so hard to say goodbye to pets, especially when you've got such an amazing relationship with them. My symphathies on the loss of your sweetie. Best wishes with the puppy though! She's got that same mischevous look in her eye that mine does, which makes me think she'll be keeping you nice and distracted! =D

Anita O said...

Oh I am so sorry for your loss! I know these pets are more than just animals to you, and the hurt must be tremendous.

But you did give BJ a great life, better than a lot of people even have and she was very fortunate to have been dropped off at your house. You can rest easier knowing that.

June Carter is such a cutie!! Can't wait to see more pics of her in action.