Friday, December 30, 2011

All Better


Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer about Christmas. Things did get better once we went to spend time with my inlaws; we had good food, good company, and just a good time visiting and exchanging gifts. I tend to dread things before they actually happen, then realize that it isn't as bad as I thought when it comes down to it. I was really worried about the gifts we got for everyone... we tried to get things we thought they'd like, but we weren't really able to go all out for anyone. However, they seemed to like everything well enough. We really came out good this year: a new 32" tv from my FIL and step-MIL (we had a 55" from Texas we never got to use since we traded it for Charlie's motorcycle right before we left and it got smashed in the drive to Michigan) and a bunch of really needed giftcards (Old Navy Maternity, here I come! I really need some big-belly clothes as you can tell from my 22 week pic!).




Above is a before and after on a pair of mitts I made myself. The yarn is my handspun. One ply is part of the giant bag of fall-colored mystery wool and the other ply is some wool mix I spun into a fine singles back in, oh, 2007. I really like the resulting fingering weight yarn and got about 330 yards total. I made the mitts in a day and made it up as I went along. I had tried a few other patterns, but none worked out for some reason or another. These mitts are long and roomy for holding in heat and so I can tuck my fingers into them if I need to.

We don't really have big New Year's plans, but that's fine with me. I'm more of a staying-in girl anyway. I've never done anything special to bring in the New Year (the last one was spent working at Walgreens on the overnight shift, for example) and I'm ok with keeping up that tradition. When I was living with my parents, my mom would always make a bunch of finger foods like pigs-in-the-blanket, some Korean goodies, etc. and we'd watch the ball drop on tv. This year Charlie and I are going to his dad's to hang out with his step-sister, Talia. She's going to cook nachos (yum!) and dessert and we'll just hang there. Sounds like a good plan to me. New Year's Day was supposed to be sort of a Christmas for Charlie and me together, but it's not looking like it's in the budget, so we'll likely just spend some time together at home. I'm perfectly happy with that; there's nothing better than spending time with the perfect man for me :)

1 comment:

lunaticraft said...

Glad to hear Christmas started looking up! =) The mitts look delightful. I usually am not a big light tan/yellowy/orange fan because of my skin tone (makes me look like a zombie) but I love the variation in them. Are those little hints of green I see too? Love it.