Thursday, March 1, 2012

Progress


The scrap sock blanket is coming along nicely. Still have a long way to go (right now it's about cat-blanket sized), but it's a fun and mindless project. The hardest part is picking which color to do next and where to attach it.


I started a new sock. Shouldn't have until I finished up some other projects first, like the socks below, but I wanted a pair that didn't require having the pattern in front of me for. These are Hermione's Everyday Socks using Red Rock Dyeworks Aspen in the Koi Pond colorway. I got the yarn in a swap a few years ago and had been hoarding it ever since. I'm such a goldfish/koi fanatic and didn't want to "waste" the yarn. I really need to get over that... it's not doing any good hidden away in the stash cabinet! It's pooling, but I don't mind at all. Little miss Red legs wishes I was making her a cat hat instead of socks.


I'm almost through the foot on the first Twisted Tulips sock. I really love how it's coming out, but it's not something that I can just pick up and do a few rows here and there on. I have to use the chart for every row and, while it's not difficult, it is time-consuming (though the actual knitting seems to go quickly... it's just a matter of having enough time at once to get the magazine, find my place, knit, etc).


I've started piecing the Noro blanket together! Very slowly, though... I'm having to fight the desire to join them all right now, but I know that future colorways will be different and I don't want them too grouped in the FO. I am trying to be truly random in the color placement, though... the completed hexes are thrown into my drawer and are all mixed up. I'm grabbing them without looking and adding them. It's tempting to not place like colors together, but true randomness may have 3 red hexes all touching, ya know?


I'm almost through the first skein that lunaticraft sent me and here's the stack that I have so far. I make several a day and it's great for keeping beside the bed to work on when I get up and right before I go to sleep.

In other news, we got our tax return money back and it was a little more than expected, which is a blessing! We are all caught up and actually a little ahead on bills and it feels SO GOOD. Charlie was in charge of the finances, but I took over since he found it to be a pain and I hated not knowing what was going on (I'm one that checks the account at least once daily just to be sure that things are going through and all that... he's more the type that checks twice a month and assumes it's all ok the rest of the time). We're much happier about how we're handling things now and it's working out better since I'm a planner and know where the money is coming from/going a few weeks in advance. Anyway, our return was big enough that I was able to give us both a little allowance for spending however we wish. I know we probably ought to save every little penny, but we haven't treated ourselves is SO LONG it's something that we need. It's hard to not spend any money other than absolutely necessary without the occasional splurge. I'm giving Charlie a larger allowance than I'm giving myself because I feel bad for the boy (I'm such a softie when it comes to him and gladly give him part of my share). I know he really wants the Playstation Vita, but it's pretty high-dollar right now, so he's going to wait until fall and trade his PSP and games for one. I think he'll end up buying a new gun with his allowance. Me... I paid for a rat club membership that will really help my breeding program, made a tiny order from Knit Picks for some supplies I was lacking, and am carefully saving the rest for when I find something that I really want.

1 comment:

lunaticraft said...

Being caught up is the best feeling in the world, isn't it? Love the progress on everything!