Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Food

I don't have any pictures to share, but I have been cooking a lot lately.

We have had some fridge issues in the past year. The first issue being that the fridge quit working right after Arthur was born. The landlords just bought us a new one since it was so old. Ok, wonderful. Then a few months later it quit working again. The guys came to fix it and they replaced the defrost timer. Great. Then it started having some problems in December... the fridge wasn't cooling as well anymore, though the freezer kept working fine. It was still cool enough, though I could tell it wasn't as cool as it used to be. We went away to Georgia for a week and came back to a very disgusting fridge full of bad food.

It took them over a week to fix it. Apparently, modern refrigerators do all the cooling in the freezer and there's a passageway that the cold air travels through to cool the fridge. There is a heater in that part to keep ice from building up and blocking the passageway. Our heater hadn't been working for about 6 weeks, thus the gradual "less cool" feeling in the fridge part while the freezer worked fine. Anyway, we finally got it fixed and I really hope that's the end of our fridge problems! Three times of losing all the food we had is enough (the freezer stopped working this last time for the week between their first diagnostic visit and the one that actually fixed it).

So, I've really been enjoying cooking lately. We had to eat out a lot during the week following our return to Michigan (thankfully we had a lot of gift cards from Christmas) and, while I do love going out to eat, there is just something so satisfying about eating something I made.

I got a crock pot for Christmas, along as some much-needed cooking utensils and such, and have been making good use of them. I've never really been much of a cook, but I've been researching and experimenting and trying and have been pretty successful at it!

I may start doing a little food segment on the blog (with pictures!). I must admit, I'm quite proud of my cooking efforts. I'm no iron chef, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job for someone who just recently go interested in it and someone who had never really cooked before in her life.

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

I would enjoy hearing about your food adventures for sure! Sorry about the fridge troubles, I hope that you don't have to deal with it again for a while.