Friday, February 22, 2013

Food



French Toast Casserole, recipe from a friend of mine who now lives in Alabama. Her dad and my dad worked together, but we met through the vet clinic... she started working my last year there and we got to know one another. She has a ton of great recipes on her blog. I modified the recipe a little bit based on what we had on hand; I used regular white bread instead of French bread and peach perserves in place of blackberry jam. It was a great brunch and I'll be making it again (hopefully with French bread next time as that sounds really yummy).


This is the BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup I have EVER eaten! I pretty much followed the recipe exactly other than adding a little more enchilada sauce. The tortillas are baked from some flour tortillas we had that were getting "old." They were good, but got soggy and soft again quickly once they were in the soup. I put a little shredded cheese and sour cream in and it was awesome. Charlie said that it's his favorite meal I've ever made for him. We had plenty of leftovers.


Here's Charlie's second favorite meal I've ever made (both favorites in the same week... I think I've set myself up for failure, haha!). This is Cowboy Chicken over brown rice. YUM! Changes made were to add a little cumin, minced garlic, and onion powder. It is so delicious. I didn't see the need for adding more sour cream on top like it says in the recipe. We had a ton leftover and had it for meals for a few days, with the last of it gone for lunch today.


Since I had so much brown rice left from lunch, I made chicken fried rice for dinner. Sorry the picture is horrible, my cheapy camera is way worse than my iphone (which I couldn't find at the time). Basically, I cubed a chicken breast and marinaded it for about 10 minutes in soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook through in the skillet on medium-high heat. Set aside and add vegetable oil and cook a chopped onion, then add some frozen stir fry veggies. Cook about a minute, then add the cooked rice. Mix it all together, then make a little well in the middle of the rice to kook a few eggs in. Scramble them up then mix with the rice. Add some salt, pepper, and garlic powder, cook untouched a minute or so, turn, repeat until the rice is nice and golden. Add chicken and mix it all up. It was really good, though next time I might add a tiny bit of minced garlic and a little soy sauce and sesame oil to the actual rice.

We also had a steak dinner last week, but I forgot to take a picture of it.The marinade I used was amazing... I just went through the shelves and added what looked good... brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard powder, minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Delicious! It was sweet, but had a little kick to it from the generous amount of pepper I added.

I'm loving this whole cooking thing and have even come to be ok with the cleaning up afterward. It's really satisfying to put a bunch of ingredients together and make something that tastes good and is healthier than fast food/restaurants. I don't mean less calories or whatever, but rather that the food is fresher, I know how it was handled, etc. I really can't wait to move and finally have my hobby farm again... then it will be even better since I would personally grow the veggies and raise the meat. Oneday, oneday...

No comments: