Thursday, February 28, 2013

Update

I had a horrible and heartbreaking knitting fail yesterday. I had been working on a Violet Dress in Knit Picks Felici Sport for 7 days. It was coming out beautifully... the perfect little girl's dress. I didn't have an intended recipient in mind, but it was a labor of love. I had to break and join the yarn numerous times, rewinding skeins in order to get the stripes the right thickness because of the growing stitch count on the skirt. I finished it, but did have the nagging feeling that a few of my many joins weren't strong enough. I tossed it in the lingerie bag in the wash anyway. It came out great. I tossed it in the dryer for 20 minutes, planning blocking it afterward. It did not survive :(

A few of my joins came apart and the dress had huge holes. If they were small, I would've fixed them, but these were giganto holes. I tossed the entire thing in the trash out of frustration and heartbreak and anger at myself for not checking my work. I lost 3 balls of the discontinued yarn and 7 days of knitting, but I did learn to check my joins and to always pay attention to my gut when it comes to knitting!

Anyway, to console myself, I started joining a few squares of my scrap sock yarn blanket. I'm very pleased with how it's turning out...



 
 
I am using KP Stroll in White to join, using a join-as-you-go method. I had to do some figuring on how to join like that since there's no openwork on the final round of the squares. I ended up joining every other hdc stitch. It's a longterm project that I really enjoy. I mostly work on squares on car rides, but it's slow-going because I don't have many scraps of sock yarn left to work with.
 
Other stuff from this week so far...
 

I made this Bitty Bump baby cardi using 2 strands of Ester Bitran Talinay held together. I need to get a ribbon for it.


Here's about 48.2 yards of dk weight angora I spun up. I got a few handfuls of angora from a Raveler in a RAK; it was a fun treat to spin!


A KP order came in this week! They are having a great sock yarn sale (ends 01 April, so there's plenty of time to head on over and get some for yourself!) and I took advantage of it. My mom got a set of sock blockers and I got 4 Felici Sport (Boutique) because it's pretty and discontinued... I'm so glad I did this considering how horribly the dress went! I also got 5 Stroll in White (for the blanket), 2 Stroll in Dandelion (for stash), 2 Stroll Sport in Rouge (socks for me), and 2 Stroll Sport in Mink Heather (socks for me). I just love Arthur's little grabby hand in the top left corner!


I started a Floppy Fairisle Hat using KP WotA. I saw this one and fell in love with the colors used, so I copied her. I'm quite pleased with how well it's turning out.


Socks OTN! Here is the first of My Cup of Tea socks in KP Stroll (Green Tea Heather). I think I have my sock knitting mojo back, finally!

And, an Arthur update :) He is 10 and a half months old now and is a little copycat! So cute... he is learning so much, so fast. I can't believe how big and smart and sweet he's getting. He has turned into quite the daddy's boy lately, but I'm attributing that to the fact that Charlie has been working a lot lately and he's just a novelty (ok, maybe this momma has her feelings a little hurt, but it really is wonderful to see their relationship grow!). I'll have to post some new pics and video soon.

No comments: