Monday, March 11, 2013

Knitting, Bunnies, and Arthur

 I've been knitting a lot lately, mostly after Arthur and Charlie go to bed. Charlie has been on the overnight shift lately, so he goes to bed with Arthur at about 6pm to get a nap in before heading to work. I have taken those few hours as my time and I get some housework done and knit.



Charlie goes once a week to play Dungeons & Dragons with some of his friends. He's always the DM (Dungeon Master) and apparently he's supposed to wear something having to do with the game. His friends have an old ratty robe for him, but he refuses to wear it because it's pretty gross (I haven't seen it myself, but I hear that it's been around for years and never been washed). He requested "something knit that is from like medieval times or something." He originally wanted a wizard hat, but I found something much better... Loxley, by the very talented and popular Stephen West. It's really a clever, though simple, design and I think it will look a lot better than some old witch's hat (and he could wear it outside of D&D).


More progress on the scrappy socky blanket. I've been making more squares and joining them here and there. I absolutely love how it's turning out!


I've been joining all the scraps too small for a square and have a larger-then-softball-sized magic ball now. I don't know what I'll end up doing with it... Maybe a bunch of crazy squares? Use it for the border? Something else not related to the blanket? We'll see.


Remember this? It's the hexagon blanket using only Noro fingering weight yarns. I had put it in a bag and then forgot about it. I fished it out the other day and it's much larger than I remembered it being. I've been working on hexagons here and there.


Not knitting, but my MIL has asked me to make some of these coat hangers for her. She likes to take 2 wire hangers and knot RHSS around them to make them thicker and non-slip. I've been charged with the task of making more for her since she doesn't have the time (and she gives me a little spending money for doing these little things for her).

Now for the bunnies and Arthur :)

We had to find a new home for Sally and Chip because the city is being really stupid. The ordinance has nothing about goats and we found out before we got them that they are ok here. Everything was fine until animal control came one day and said that they weren't allowed (the paper she gave us with the ordinance typed out had, "Not sheep/goats allowed" handwritten at the bottom). Apparently, they are allowed here, but the city forces you to fight every case and you can't keep the animals while fighting. It's ridiculous. We didn't have the means to fight or anywhere to keep them in the meantime, so we were forced to find them a new home. Fortunately, we found a really nice and experienced 4-H home for them. Charlie was so upset; they were his birthday present from him mom and stepdad and he had wanted them so badly. He invested so much time into them just to see them gone.

We still had the fence up and all that hay, so when I saw these guys on craigslist for free...


They had to come live with us! I bred and showed rabbits for years and missed the little guys so much. We also wanted to get Arthur a pet that he could love on (he loves the dogs, but they aren't so crazy about him... never aggressive or anything, but they just leave when he comes at them) and I mentioned rabbits. These two are Flemish Giants (they are roughly 13 lb each). The gray at the front is Buster, a neutered male, and the black is Rue, a female. Rue is much friendlier and less skittish than Buster, who Charlie says is going in the stewpot once we get another rabbit to replace him. I don't know about all that, but for now he's in the yard.

I love looking out the kitchen window and seeing them hopping around the pen. It's huge, about half of our backyard, and they have toys, holes, etc to play with. They have access to the shed at all times and are locked up in it during really bad weather, at night, and when we aren't home.

Here's a cute little video I got today, on Arthur's 11 month birthday :)

No comments: