Thursday, May 2, 2013

Getting Back Into The Groove

 Arthur and I had the best time in Georgia!

We spent the week just enjoying ourselves, family, and that wonderful state. We got to visit with aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents... for most, it was only their second time meeting Arthur, so it was very nice to see them.

We went to two privately-funded (non-goverment funded) parks that are near my parents and they were a lot of fun! The first was Noah's Ark, an animal refuge kind of place. They take in animals that need rehabilitating and/or can't be released into the wild. They have an impressive emu collection, buffalo, tigers (We even got to see two of them get into a little spat! Roaring and rolling around and everything!), lions, bears, wolves, etc. They are in need of volunteers, so I plan on doing that once we move down there. They also take in food donations for the animals and my mom will be donating a lot of her excess veggies from the garden for the tortoises. The other park was Dauset Trails, which only houses wildlife native to Georgia. There were black bears, coyotes, bob cats, turkeys, and a bunch of others.

It's taking us (me) a little bit to get back into the groove of things. We've been home since Monday and I had a mini meltdown when I saw the state of things at the house. I didn't expect for it to be perfect, but I also didn't expect what I came home to! The living room had been rearranged, which was ok, but the floor was dirty, there was clutter everywhere (Charlie's method of "cleaning" involved making a larger mess than before, then quitting before it all gets put up again), and the kitchen wasn't pretty. I don't claim to keep a perfect house, but boy was it bad. I was disappointed and Charlie kind of got his feelings hurt because he thought that he put in a good effort. After I picked up some of the clutter and vacuumed good, I was able to calm down and see that he did do a lot; I apologized and things were ok again.

I still haven't gotten the house just the way that I want it, but it's getting there. I got spoiled with a week of zero cooking, zero housework, zero laundry, and a few days of sleeping in while my parents cared for Arthur in the early hours. Oh, and speaking of laundry, Charlie said that the washer went out on us while I was gone! It no longer agitates/spins and smokes during those cycles instead! Yikes! I'll have a look at it tomorrow and may be hauling laundry to the laundromat twice a week from now on (our crappy landlords have a washer and dryer in all their rentals, but refuse to have them repaired/replaced if they mess up).

Here are some pictures:


It was Barrett's 2nd birthday on the 23rd. Arthur and I weren't home for it, but Charlie had a tiny birthday celebration for her. Partner just looks so happy for her, doesn't he?


Arthur made good use of the kiddie pool my mom got for him. He swam daily and had the best time splashing everyone.


Our son has a serious stick obsession. Anything resembling a stick must be his. Here he is dual-wielding bamboo canes on the front porch.


Arthur and Mikah, my brother's 5 week old son. He looks so sweet holding him in this picture, but don't be fooled. Arthur pushed him down when he got tired of him and also kicked him in the head, scratched him, pinched him, and squeezed his head like a melon during Mikah's short visit. He also tried to forcefeed him a piece of bread, which was actually a very kind gesture, lol.

I do have a good bit of knitting going on, but no pictures yet. I'm working my little fingers off on the Genesis shawlette (which is coming out more scarf-sized, annoyingly) in hopes to have it ready for my MIL's birthday on Saturday. I'm completely ignoring the fact that the cotton/linen blend I'm using will probably take a few days to dry during blocking.

No comments: