Friday, June 14, 2013

A New Obsession

I am obsessed with hand embroidery.

I read about the Wild Olive Summer Stitching Club on Earthtone Girl's blog (link to the right) and thought, What the hay, I'll give it a go. Boy, am I glad that I did! It only costs 8.00 to join and that includes all the info needed to stitch and assemble a little hexagon quilt/wall hanging/whatever you'd like for it to be, with 1 cute little summery embroidery pattern being released every week of summer (total of 12). So far we have received a pair of sunglasses and a happy little sun. If you want to join, you can do so at any time because Mollie will send all the current stuff at the time of purchase. It's really fun and I do suggest it!

Anyway, to the obsession part. First off, I went and gathered supplies. I'm not too practiced in sewing and such, but do know a little from my seamstress mother. I ended up with a fat quarter pack, fat quarters for the backing, and remnant cotton for the embroidered hexis. I got the recommended colors of floss, except they were out of the exact yellow, so I subbed it for what I figure is close enough.


The pattern calls for 3 colors for the hexis, then the plain linen or cotton for the embroidery. It was tough choosing between the 5 fabrics in the pack, but I finally settled on a darker one for the border and two lighter and more cheerful ones for the center.


Then I made my first hexi. This can become an obsession in and of itself. It's quite satisfying to piece them together! I made nearly all the hexis needed in that first sitting!


This is the back. I'm using fancy paper because it was what I had onhand that would work. I am a crafter on a budget, so I'm just making do with what I got.


My first time hand embroidering! I love love love it!!! So soothing and just plain fun. I am a bit annoyed at how his left eye (on our right) came out a little big compared to the other eye, but it was also my first go at French knots (I'm an experienced cross-stitcher, but always used a bead in place of French knots). I haven't made the sun one yet, but that's because I've been stitching away on four other projects!

Yes, I have completed a total of five embroidery pieces since first trying it two days ago. I had so much fun with the sunglasses that I went back to Joann's and got some more supplies to make Father's Day gifts. I am quite pleased with how they came out, but I'll wait to show them off til the weekend.

I've been stitching non-stop and only wish that some of this mojo would apply to my knitting...

No comments: