Thursday, August 22, 2013

Quilting

My mom is an excellent sewer (seamstress?). She made most of our clothes growing up and made all my dad's vest covers, our Halloween costumes, and also went to craft shows every weekend with her dresses and other kid's clothes. She made Arthur's crib set and can pretty much sew anything. I, on the other hand, rarely got on the sewing machine. I made a stuffed dinosaur once and also a wallet or two, but that's pretty much it.

Now I want to learn to sew.

Of course, I can't just start off with a little easy project. I am attempting to make a quilt. It is going to be a gift for my MIL and sFIL for Christmas... talk about an ambitious first project! I don't have a machine yet, but I was informed yesterday that it will be my early Christmas present from my parents.

I am making the Promises and Borders quilt. I have purchased all the necessary supplies and already cut out all the squares (though in my inexperience, I made a few mistakes).


I took advantage of Joann's birthday sale and got all the fabric on sale. I love the floral print and the accent colors I chose! The green has white print on it like the blue does (though not exactly the same), but it's hard to see in the pic.


The quilt incorporates embroidery. There are 10 embroidered blocks, but they are pretty simple pieces so hopefully won't take too long. This is the first one, still in progress.

Oh, and speaking of quilts, the Summer Stitching Club has come to an end (except for next week's binding instructions). Since Mollie will be continuing the clubs for each season, I am going to leave this part alone so that I can join all the seasons into a blanket.


My favorite pattern is the last one, a hippo swimring! I love hippos.

No comments: