Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Almost There

I have just a few more things to make as gifts then I am D.O.N.E.

I'm quite proud of myself this year! I finished everything that I wanted, minus a pair of mitts for my BIL. They just weren't working out and I got tired of stressing about them, so we are just going to buy his gift this year.

I still need to work on my MIL's final embroidery hoop (she's getting a 4-part hoop hanging) and finish it up before Saturday, then make Ninja Turtle coasters for my other BIL, a quilted ball for my niece, and finish Arthur's quilted ball. Not too much work, mostly just sewing up that I can do in front of the tv each night.

In other news, Arthur had tubes put in his ears this morning and it went well, though I am not happy with how the anesthesiology team handled things. Malignant Hyperthermia, a very rare and very deadly anesthesia disorder, runs in my family and we cannot have general anesthesia. It's not really a hassle, they just have to remove the triggers from the OR and prep area and use something different (usually ketamine). The nurse anesthetist said, "Are you kidding?!" and sighed really loudly when he was informed that they cannot use the general anesthesia. Rude. Then the anesthesiologist got mad Arthur started crying when she held him down and put the constricting band on his arm to get IV access. Um, he's only 1 and was absolutely terrified of what was going on! Geez! Then she got frustrated that she couldn't get access and slammed her hand down on the bed, scaring him even more. Finally she decided to just get access after he was given nitrous, but didn't tell me that and literally snatched my poor baby off the bed and ran off with him. I had no clue where they were going and Arthur was so scared and screamed and was reaching out for me. Who does that? Arthur had surgery last year at our regular hospital (we had to use a different on this time because the ENT that took our insurance wasn't with our trusted Beaumont Hospital) and they were very kind, gentle, and informative. His surgery then was much more invasive and painful, yet he was much calmer and more ok with things because of how the doctors and nurses behaved. They also told me when they were taking him to the OR so that we could give him a hug goodbye. This other hospital was horrible and Arthur freaked out much more than he would've if the staff would've been nicer about things.

Hopefully we won't have to go back to the ENT beyond his post-op checkup in 2 weeks. He is doing ok now and is acting like nothing even happened, running around and playing and causing trouble like always! I am still treating him like a little prince because I feel sorry for my poor baby boy, though I do think that he's caught on and is milking it for all it's worth ;)

No comments: