Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Spin Again

I used to spin almost daily. I could easily finish off a 4 ounce batt in a single evening of spinning. That was pre-marriage and pre-baby, though. I haven't really done much spinning at all since Arthur was born, only doing a bit here and there. I treated myself to 12 ounces of lovely merino from Woollie Bullie last year, but haven't really done much with it since.

Today I was looking through a few of my spinning groups on Rav and my spinning desires were renewed. I will be making an effort this year to put down the needles a few nights a week and bring out the wheel instead. The fiber is so lovely, it's a shame to have it sitting unfinished and unloved. I let the wheel see the light of day for the first time in months (she lives in my craft closet, away from curious and amazingly quick and destructive toddler hands) to get a picture of the only bobbin I've completed of the Raw Turquoise...



It really is quite lovey. That's a nickel there for size reference on the singles, which are spinning up thin. I have been trying to decide how to ply this once I finally have all 12 ounces done... I was thinking of Navajo-plying, but then again a 2-ply would give me more yardage... We will just have to see what the yarn has to say about it. I do have a good ways to go on the spinning, so it'll be a while before I get to the plying part.

3 comments:

Katiebee said...

hi! stopping in from andi's kal~ so nice to meet you~ i've always been intrigued with spinning but have never tried~ maybe some day! author is so very sweet! i enjoyed your pictures, how do you like your new camera?

Timiae said...

Thank you! Spinning is so much fun and is actually what got me started in knitting seriously to begin with (I had to do something with all that yarn!). Give it a try one day for sure! I love my camera. It's so nice to have something other than my cheap prepaid phone to use. I'm no photographer, but at least now I can get decent pictures. Thanks for stopping by!

Magpie Making Do said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it all plyed up. Spinning has really peaked my interest lately. The owner of my LYS recently got back into spinning and watching her do it is absolutely mesmerizing. I keep thinking more and more about giving it a shot...