Sunday, February 2, 2014

Moving Slowly

This baby is killing me. Seriously, I feel horrible.

With Arthur, I felt great, was as active as I wanted to be, ate whatever I wanted, and wondered what everyone was complaining about --- pregnancy was a breeze! I threw up all the time, but I otherwise felt wonderful. This time, not so much. I will be 8 weeks on Tuesday and life is pretty much sucking. I was ok for the most part until about Wednesday, then it all went downhill and is still going. My stomach is sooo unsettled. I'm not just throwing up a lot, but my stomach is also so rumbly feeling. Plus, food disgusts me. All food. The sight of food, the thought of food, the kitchen even. I can't handle it. So, I'm either starving, puking, or so full feeling from a simple pb&j sandwich and some yogurt (the only things I can eat for now) that I'm miserable. It's a good thing that we're designed to feed the baby no matter what; I'd be worried about him or her not getting enough nutrients. They're safe, but I'm suffering. I also have the worst backache, which is made worse by my stomach feeling bad. I know that it's all worth it in the end, but boy is this time around much harder than the first time. Maybe it's because I have Arthur and I can't just lay in bed a little longer, or lie down when I need to, or go all day without lifting 25 lb of toddler all day.

So, I haven't been knitting much. You'd think that I'd get tons done on days like the last two when I pretty much put kids movies on tv all day and sat on the couch with Arthur. I know an entire weekend of Disney movies and being parked on the couch isn't the best way to pass time with your almost-2 year old (not exactly setting a good example), but I was feeling so bad, it was so snowy out, and Charlie had drill. I just couldn't do much else. Hopefully I will start feeling better soon and we can be more active again.

Even though there hasn't been much actual knitting, there has been a lot of thinking about knitting and browsing Ravelry. I decided not to make my Pomme right now (won't get a lot of use this season because of the weather and I don't really know what size to make anyway), but am making a Summer Waves Cardi instead. I did swatch and cast on for this last week before feeling like death...


It's a mindless knit for now, though at the end I will have to pick up for some lace. I am using KP Cotlin in Creme Brulee (a softer yellow in real life), purchased a few years ago. It'll be a good summer cardi for over tank tops and such, and I am knitting a size that should work for the last few months of pregnancy.

I also decided what my next two projects will be and wound the yarn for them:


Sorry for the flashy pics. The two on the left are handspun (by Peacock on Rav) merino that I won in a GSD KAL recently. I also have a skein of bulky to match it. I will be making a Whitman hat for another KAL in the group. The sock yarn on the right is Holiday Yarns Flock Sock in Copper Pennies. I bought this on clearance from a LYS in San Antonio. It reminds me of warmer days and easier times (though I wouldn't trade my current life for anything!) and will become a pair of simple socks (stockinette? easy cables?) for a KAL over on My Sister's Knitter on Rav.

Winding non-KP yarn finally settled something else that I've been pondering while sitting on the couch watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates over and over... I'm going to break my KP habit. Shocking, right? I've purchased from them pretty much exclusively for the past few years and 99% of my knitting uses their yarns. There have been some major changes and issues with (a lack of) transparency that have been bothering me. I normally stand by them 100%, but I just can't rationalize anymore. They are culling lines left and right, not releasing new ones nearly as quickly (and the ones that are newer are not comparable and are very project-specific), manufacturing changes are producing inferior product (Brava! So sad.), and are dancing around giving a straight-forward answer to legitimate customer questions and concerns. I'm really sad to say it, but I will be looking at shopping elsewhere. I still love my Knit Picks and am very much hoping for some awesome new lines this year. I will still shop there, but will also take my money elsewhere and get some of the awesome brands and indie yarns that I've been missing out on. It'll be difficult at first, sticker shock will definitely happen, but I'm excited about it.

2 comments:

magpiemakingdo said...

Sorry to hear that this pregnancy is turning out so difficult! This seems to be the year of the difficult pregnancies... a few people I know are having them. Hang in there! Hopefully it gets easier!

Chrisknits said...

Don't know if anyone has suggested this, but have the Dr look at your Gall Bladder. Lucky us, women can have issue with gall bladders after pregnancies. I was sick for 6 months with my first, and then 9 months with the second. And then kept thinking I was pregnant because of the nausea. And the back thing makes me suspect your gall bladder even more. Is the pain located in your back, right about under your bra? I had to have my GB removed a year after the 2nd daughter. And boy was that the best thing! No more nausea and pain. Good luck.