Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Spin, Knit, Repeat

I love my hobby. I feel so fortunate to have discovered it, picked it up so easily, and have the means to continue with it. I guess that can be said by anyone, of any hobby, but I really do feel this way.

I learned basic crochet stitches as a child. My grandmother (mom's mom) is an amazing crocheter and can design intricate filet crochet doilies on the fly. She taught me the basics and I made many cheap acrylic granny square baby blankets and scarves growing up, but never really did much more than that until I was 16. That's when I got my spinning wheel.

I raised and showed rabbits as a youth and was always so intrigued by the angora breeders spinning at shows. My parents bought me my Ashford Traditional for my sweet 16 and I took a quick lesson from a local French Angora breeder. I loved it, but even then didn't do much with it since I had limited fiber funds and time. I spun here and there and never really learned to knit well. I did make my dad a scarf that Christmas... purple Shetland, overspun singles that I then messed up plying by keeping the same twist direction... super hard and wiry yarn resulted! He loved it anyway.

In college a roommate was making a simple garter stitch scarf for her sister and I showed her some of my handspun and my wheel. Talking about it got me back into it. That was it from then on. 2007 was the year that I started spinning like mad and really started improving my knitting skils and learning about different yarn companies, different fibers, etc. I've had many short-lived craft endeavors, but none have stuck like spinning and knitting. It's a part of who I am and I can't imagine not toting my knitting bag around everywhere, checking ravelry obsessively, and dreaming up of more beautiful things to make.




(Esker Scarf in the Club Spunky fiber I got the other day.)

1 comment:

magpiemakingdo said...

Such a beautiful post! And a beautiful scarf too!